Part-Time Merchandising Assistant
The Noguchi Museum is seeking a part-time Merchandising Assistant for its warehouse distribution center for Akari light sculptures with customer service and sales experience in the arts and design. This position is integral to the Museum’s retail operation. As a member of the merchandising and design department, the Merchandising Assistant is charged with overseeing the sales on the Museum’s Online Store, including products designed by Noguchi, most significantly his Akari light sculptures, as well as publications on Noguchi and other products, as well as retail phone and email orders and inquiries. Additionally, there are administrative tasks, stocking and inventory, and light shipping involved in this role.
The ideal candidate combines retail background with an interest in twentieth century art and design, and provides excellent customer service to our online and phone retail customers. Knowledge of the Museum, its collection, and representing the mission and values of The Noguchi Museum is essential to this position.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Merchandising and Design, The Noguchi Museum Merchandising Assistant works closely with the Manager, Associate of Merchandising and Design, and the Shipping Manager.
About the Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum
The Noguchi Museum – chartered as The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum – was founded and designed by the acclaimed Japanese-American artist Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988) for the display of his life’s work. Opened in 1985 and located in the vibrant neighborhood of Long Island City, Queens, the Museum is housed in a converted industrial building and is itself considered to be one of Noguchi’s greatest works. Today, the mission of the Museum is to advance the understanding and appreciation of Noguchi’s art and legacy. It manages the world’s most extensive collection of Noguchi’s sculptures, works on paper, architectural models, and designs, in addition to his complete archives. Through its rich collection, exhibitions, and programming, the Museum facilitates scholarship and learning for audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes online orders for shipment and responds to customer related emails regarding orders, shipping times, and product questions.
- Ensures accurate processing of transactions.
- Assists in answering incoming phone calls and responding to voicemails.
- Provides background information to customers interested in purchasing merchandise, and is well-versed in Noguchi’s designs and work, as well as product inventory, price points, and product information.
-Updates online store inventory stock levels and communicates with the Manager of Merchandising and Design on out of stock inventory and special orders. Communicates needed inventory stock transfers with the Merchandising and Design Associate.
- With the Manager of Merchandising and Design, updates new product text, corrections, or notifications on the Online Store.
- Oversees and executes electronic communications, including notifications of when products are back in stock, sales, and other e-blasts, as coordinated with the Manager of Merchandising and Design.
- Assists with physical counting of new product stock and moves inventory to designated bin locations. - Participates in bi-annual physical inventory.
- As needed, packages small orders, creates UPS shipping and return label, and receives deliveries from UPS and FedEx.
- Assists with additional administrative tasks and projects, as needed.
- Two years sales experience in related field.
- Self-motivated, passionate about art and design-retail.
- Ability to work independently, and has careful attention to detail.
- Experience with credit card transactions and security.
- Experience with retail operational point of sale systems.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills using Microsoft Office, especially with Word and Excel.
- Ability to lift 20 to 30 pounds (books or other inventory).
The Merchandising Assistant position is part-time located in The Noguchi Museum in Long Island City, Queens. Hours will be 3 days a week, 9am – 5pm, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (Some flexibility to this schedule is available.)
The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment policy.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
The Noguchi Museum
32-37 Vernon Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11106
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Merchandising Assistant”